Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Fantastic time in Sweden!

The flight from London to Sweden took only 2 hours and 35 minutes. Upon arriving, in no time I cleared immigration and customs. After a short wait, Kim arrived to get me from the airport. We drove for about 30 minutes to the town of Uppsala where I would be staying with Kim and Jessika. After some time we had TEA, then later in the evening a group of about 15 gathered at Kim and Jessika's place for the book study and afterwards everyone stayed back for a cup of tea and cake. It was qute fascinating to learn that this group consisted of 10 different nationalities.

The following day Kim and I to the train from Uppsala to Stockholm, about a 40 minutes journey. The weather was about 4 or 5 degrees Celcius, so I had to borrow a coat from Kim as my sweater was not warm enough. The city of Stockholm contains an old town (Gamla Stan)where the King and his family reside in their castle. This part of the city is has some fascinating architecture and interesting history:

The other part of Stockholm comprizes the CBD with is modern architecture and lifestyles. One of the unique characteristics of the Swedes is that they seem to have an afinity for queueing up. They seem to queue up for everything even when a queue is not necessary.

Before we went into the Stockholm, Kim and I changed the tires on his car to the winter tires as is required by law. This has to be done before December 1, but most drivers start changing from November, because it sometimes snows from early November. We were fortunate that we did change the tires, because early on Saturday morning it snowed a few centimeters:

My visit coincided with a Special Assembly Day for the English group in Sweden. This was to be held on Saturday at the assembly hall in the city Ulricehamn which in on the South Western part of Sweden, about 5 hours driving from Uppsala. Five of us travelled in kim's car (Kim, Jessika, Patsy and her daughter Johanna and me). We took foodstuff and spend the night in a rented apartment/house with two other who were also from Uppsala. We had an enjoyable time in this quiet little town. I thoroughly enjoyed the assembly and was extremely surprised and excited to meet a few from Jamaica and Trinidad or with West Indian parents living in the UK.



Have you ever heard about Surströmming (g99 July 8)? Well, my first introduction to Surströmming was at dinner on Friday night. I thought when it comes to food, I was open minded and willing to try anything until the can of Surstromming was opened. It was the most foul smelling thing you could ever imagine. I was warned before, but I agreed to join in eating it, so I couldn't get out of partaking of it. I had to stop my breath in order to take a bite. Even after combining it with all other condiments in a wrap, the smell was overwhelming, however the taste wasn´t bad after all:

This is one of the many appitizing deserts available in Sweden. This is called Princess Tart and is not only made for the princess, any one can enjoy it:
Final few days in Uppsala:
I was really sad to leave Sweden, but I am sure I will visit again. My next stop is Spain!

No comments: